From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:41:34 -0600
I hear that the 300 and 333MHz Celeron "A" overclocks quite a bit, to the
tune of 400MHz.  I also hear that when the CPU fails, you have a nice
plastic paperweight on your desk, along with the expense of buying a new
chip.  Like I've said time and again, overclocking is just playing with
fire.  The chip WILL fail.  Maybe not tomorrow, but probably before you're
done with it.  While I don't have any scientific evidence to back it up,
three years of anecdotal experience of *not* providing warranty replacements
for fried, overclocked CPUs certainly tells me something.

The Matrox Millenium G200 can be had for around US$130, I think.  It's an
excellent card.  Excellet 2D performance, outstanding 3D performance.  It
comes with 8MB of RAM and you can add another 8.  It's not nearly as cheap
as the no-name AGP cards, but it carries the benefit of support and
compatibility.  Of course, if you're not playing games and you don't do
anything related to 3D graphics, then any recent PCI card would do you good
stead.

=d=

Drew Dunn
http://adsl24.bois.uswest.net/drew/index.htm

> I am looking to build a new system with a ASUS P2B
> mother board and a Celeron ?? chip.
>
> Question:
> Looking at over clocking which is the best Celeron to use?
>
> What is the recommendations for a AGP video? I am not
> a gamer !! Good performance at a moderate price is important.

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**