From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:16:28 -0600
The problem also may be related to the RAMDAC speed.  The RAMDAC is a clock
on the video card that controls the video timings regarding refresh rates
and resolutions.  If it's not fast enough, then you won't be able to display
certain resolution/color combinations.

Jose, your situation with the Stealth 3D 3000 is an example of that problem.
I have a 3D 2000 on the Linux machine at adsl12.bois.uswest.net that will
display 1200x1024x16 bits, but will not display 800x600x32 bits because the
RAMDAC (or dot clock, as Linux calls it) is not fast enough.  The data path
is probably an issue, too, because if a larger "chunk" of data can be
transferred, that would reduce the physical number of data transfers that
have to be made to provide a given resolution/color display.

Hopefully that makes some sense!

Drew Dunn
http://adsl24.bois.uswest.net/drew/index.htm

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**