From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:44:10 -0500
Michael Mossom wrote:
> What have you all seen of this sort of damage? Could it be that it only fried the power supply and the
> modem? It'd be a shame if the MB and/or processor and/or monitor got cooked.

  I witnessed a huge lightning strike in 1994 at a school building which
traveled through the phone line into a specialized telephone answering
modem ($2500 card) and fried it and the Trident video card. The rest of
the components continued to work and after replacing both cards it
worked for years. In Texas we have a lot of modems destroyed by strikes
into the phone lines...sometimes other components are whacked, but the
modems always always die when hit on an unprotected system. I personally
unplug all units in a storm and keep the plug over six inches away from
the wall plug as a strike can arc that far even when unplugged.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene