Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:25:35 EDT
Dear Kay:

Your Pentium 233 MMX could be a much more powerful computer than the 266
Pentium II depending on the chipset and motherboard you have should you decide to
upgrade your socket 7 CPU.  That is the system I would use for the web and
video work software you describe.  If you can determine this information I could
advise you better.  The easiest way to know what you have is to find the BIOS
ID String during the startup of your system.  Check the web for BIOS ID
techniques.

Your motherboard could also need a BIOS update to support the 40 GB hard
drive without special software from Maxtor.

I have upgraded even 166 MHz machines with 66 MHz memory buses to 400 MHz for
$20 and updating the system BIOS.  My favorite CPU for socket 7 is AMD k6-2
or K6-3.  You will be surprised how fast an old machine can run with a little
updating.

Your operating system Win 98 SE is a good choice for a low budget machine.
Especially with a fresh install and clean registry.

Good luck,
Mike Scott