From:
Ahmad Salman Aziz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:02:20 -0800
Dave,

I had the same issue when I bought a Western Digital hard drive (Best
Buy had a very good deal -- $50).  I have Windows 98 and FAT32 file
system and from this perspective there is no problem accessing the
big hard drives. My problem was with the motherboard, which had a
limit of 8GB due to old BIOS.  I had 2 options: either use the
ez-drive program which came with the HD as it helps the OS recognize
the full capacity which is not visible due to old BIOS, OR upgrade my
BIOS.

I do not like the EZ-drive option as it introduces a layer between
the OS and BIOS and you have to press a key when you boot from a
floppy.  So I went the way of upgrading my BIOS.  I have ABIT mother
and I downloaded the BIOS from the ABIT website and upgrade was
breeze (though I was kind of scared and I did a lot if reading before
venturing up).  I had to set the jumpers on the HD to CABLE SELECT
(as it is easy or you can set the jumpers based on the HD being
master or slave according to the HD documentation) and hooked up the
drive.  I set the BIOS to automatically detect the HD using Auto in
CMOS standard setup.

The ez-drive utility, which came with my HD, had some good tools to
test your BIOS to check if it can support the large HDs.

If you provide the details about the OS, motherboard BIOS and HD then
you would get better answer.

Ahmad