From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:12:48 -0400
D',

I agree with your helpful friend, open the case and check for loose
connections and/or loose boards/cards.

First and foremost ---- make sure the power cord is unplugged. (to protect
you)  Second, make sure you are always holding the metal frame with one
hand or the other. (to protect the electronics)

Now GENTLY wiggle and push on each wire connector to make sure they are
plugged in completely.  Do the same for each I/O card.

Cleaning the edge connectors is a good idea too, but I prefer using
denatured alcohol and a Q-tip.  Erasers are abrasive (just like sand
paper) and will wear down the metal contact pad  - not a good idea, as you
already surmised.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====