From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:18:49 -0700
Check your virtual memory settings and make sure your hard drive is
defragged. I have seen these kinds of problems when the swap file
wasn't functioning correctly.

You have a lot of free hard drive space.......I suggest you make a
permanent swap file size of 200 - 300 megs. Windows will just create one
big continuous swap file when it loads and won't waste processor time
dynamically adjusting it or trying to figure out how much space it needs.If
possible place it on it's own partition.

To do this.....Go to Control Panel...System ....Performance.....Virtual memory
then check < Let me specify my own virtual memory settings > then put 300
in minimum and 300 in maximum.....ignore the warnings...exit out and reboot.
If you have partitioning software like Partition Magic you may want to
create another dedicated partition and keep your swap file on it....this
will increase performance and reduce C: partition fragmentation.

 >Yes, you've heard from me before on this subject. I wish I could fix
 >it. I had 64M on a FIC 503+ MB, 7G HD (4G still free 3 of it on C:\),
 >Matrox G200 8M AGP, AMD K6-2 300 MHz.
 >
 >OS= Win 98 upgrade, clean install (long ago)
 >I run Netscape 4.6, also use it for mail
 >run quicken, excel, word, notepad, Norton AV
 >I was told 64M may not be enough, so I upgraded to 128M (all Corsair
 >PC100).
 >I'm still having problems. I thought it was due to Active Worlds or VP,
 >but I haven't run them in a while to try to figure this out.
 >Any suggestions??
 >Other diagnostic tricks/tips???
 >Thanks,>Rick Poepping

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: