From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:19:52 -0800
Thank you all for your input. I am happy to report that my infection appears to be gone after uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it. So the malware must have been restricted to infiltrating Chrome only. The reinstall was made easier by my first saving the bookmarks and remembered form autocomplete values. For those that are interested, this is done by saving the files "Bookmarks" and "Login Data" that are located in the C:\Users\...username...\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data folder.

Sandboxie is nice for protecting a browsing session. In my case, however, I am not sure if it was browsing that caused the infection. I suspect it was an attempt to add an extension - even though I later deleted the ones I had added, perhaps the damage was already done.

Happy holidays to all and stay safe and healthy.

Peter Shkabara