From:
Steve Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:25:05 -0600
Helped a friend add a second hard drive to his Packard Bell 486/66 and ran
into trouble getting the right jumper settings for these old drives. His
original Seagate 425mb IDE with Win95 on it is master, (one primary dos
partition, marked active) and a Quantum LPS 245mb we added as slave. Finally
got slave jumpered right, right settings in setup, fdisked (extended dos
partition w/ logical drive D:) and formatted. Scandisk reports no problems.

Problem: Every time we reboot, we get an error message "fixed drive has no
boot sector". Pressing F1 to continue, machine will boot to Win95 on C:,
both drives are recognized and useable in Windows.
Can anyone tell me what that error message means? Did I miss something
here...should I have "sysd" the slave?
Slave was working fine in another machine and was formatted /u prior to
removal. Thanks for any ideas.

Steve Dias