From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:04:32 -0500
Tal Halpern wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a very annoying computer. It is running awefuly slow, even when one application is running, and the minimum applications are in the background (Norton AV, modem, and Babylon sometimes).  I too often encounter the "white square" which replaces the red X on the explorer upper corner, and it stays stuck like that for a long time, sometimes even 30 sec...
>
> I know my hard-disk is sometimes full (maybe 2% free), but I've tried formating and putting the basics back on but got only a small change, if any.
> This makes me believe I probably have a hardware problem, but I'm not sure of that.
>
> I hope someone could point out some lead or hint.  I am including the summery of the Norton report.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Tal.
>
>                               ********************
>                               *  System Summary  *
>                               ********************
>
>     Processor:          GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 1 1.7 GHz Stepping 2
>     Math Support:       Present
>     BIOS:               D845HV - 20011116, 11/16/01
>     Bus Type:           PCI, ISA, USB
>     Ports:              1 Parallel, 3 Serial
>     Memory:             128 MB  (80% Utilized)
>     Floppy Disks:       1.44 MB
>     Hard Disks:         37.31 GB
>     Multimedia:         Sound, CD-ROM
>     Video:              800 x 600 in 64K Colors, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation) Ver. 6.14
>

 >>> snip

Tal:
Adding memory would make a huge difference in performance for you. Right
now your system is spending much of its time shuffling data between RAM
and the swap file. Consider a total of 256 MB to be the absolute
minimum; 512 MB would be better. You'll have to dig out your motherboard
manual (if you haven't got one, you can download one from the Intel
site) to see what your options are. Alternatively, the major memory
suppliers have online apps that are quite helpful.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby