From:
Kay McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:49:11 -0400
Mary,
    Thanks for your helpful advice.  One of the lessons I was hoping for was
how to see what was using the DMA channels.  (I have a big THICK Windows NT
Workstation book which said that you must avoid conflicts with your DMA
channels, but did not give one word of direction on how to do that!)    So I
carefully followed your directions below and discovered that the only DMA
channel in use is 2; it is the floppy drive.    The sound card wants to use
0, 1, or 3.   It still tells me that the DMA channel is in use for each of
those choices.

> First you will need to go to Start=>Programs=>Administrative
Tools=>Windows
> NT Diagnostics.  Select the Resources tab and then select the DMA button
> see what is using your DMA channels.

As per your suggestions below, I re-installed the pnpisa.sys file.  I do NOT
get the New Hardware Found message upon rebooting.  (I did once early on in
this ordeal, but haven't for several days.)  I uninstalled all evidence of
the SB 16 software; deleted all leftover files; removed the drivers from the
multimedia devices; clicked install on the pnpisa.inf file.  No new
hardware.  Tried again to install the drivers from the CD and from the
devices dialog box.   I still get either the NT drivers don't exist or the
DMA channel is in use error messages.

> If you have the PnP SB16 card then you must right click on the pnpisa.inf
> file in the drvlib\pnpisa\x86 file and select install, .......

Yet, remember that if I use the NT default drivers listed from the
multimedia dialog box, the drivers will install and I will get midi and wave
sounds  --  just no MP3, although, after a while the wave sounds will stop
playing (Doesn't that indicate that the card itself is ok?) .   I have
re-installed Media Player2 and Real Player hoping that the new installation
would find and fix any problems.  No luck there either.

I hope you (or someone) can follow up with more suggestions....  Thanks.

Kay McCoy                                   Phone/fax: 304-465-5664
Automation Manager                    [log in to unmask]
Fayette County Public Libraries
Oak Hill, WV  25901

> Hope this helps,
>
> Mary Wolden