From:
Robert Prickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 03:45:42 GMT
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:18:42 EDT, you wrote:
>  As we >analyze various configurations, we have discovered that we don't understand
>the relationship between the resolution / refresh rate range of the video
>adapter, the video accelerator add-in card and the monitor.

A really good question!  I will relate what I do, which may not be
perfectly correct, but it seems to work.  When one buys a new video
card,  it's invariably superior to the abilities of the monitor.  Or
the reverse--buy a new monitor, and the card is outdated.  Rarely, it
seems, one buys both in an upgrade situation.  [who can afford it?]

So...in Windows 9x, the PNP will [should] find the correct device,
monitor or card, and display the potential resolutions, size, etc.
The user would then select 'display > settings, and be presented with
all the combinations and options that the combination of monitor and
card will allow.

For example, I recently put a hot video card on a 400hz/128 mg
machine, but the screen display on the older NEC monitor would only
allow a slighlty higher resolution/hz rate than was previously set.

If I could afford a better monitor--new ball game.

As far as settings are concerned, I use something entirely different
for office applications than home use--for a variety of reasons.

This didn't answer your question very well, but it's what I do.  In
other words, I wouldn't get too concerned with the mathematical
combinations that any board/monitor will allow--just set the best one
you can get for your particular preferences.  Generally speaking, one
hears that anything below 70hz might flicker--but I've seen 55 to 60
work just fine.

bob

Small Claims Court Collection
and Windows95 / 98 Help