From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 03:53:14 -0800
On 29 Sep 99, at 9:18, Thomas Holmes wrote:

>   We are in the process of specifying several replacement
> workstations in the course from a DOS/Win95 network to an Win95 /
> 98 entirely network.  As we analyze various configurations, we have
> discovered that we don't understand the relationship between the
> resolution / refresh rate range of the video adapter, the video
> accelerator add-in card and the monitor.  We understand that no one
> element of the group will operate at a resolution / refresh rate in
> excess of that provided by the least powerful.  However, when
> starting fresh, how might one match the capacities and to what
> component and specification, primarily, should one direct his
> attention?

> Is a video accelerator add-in card like the ATi Rage 128 vr the
> same thing, albeit improved, as the old video controller cards or
> do contemporary systems now support both at the same time?

  There are 3D accelerator cards out there that *just* do 3D, and
require some other video card be present for normal 2D work.  And
there are high-end accelerated video cards that, in addition to
normal 2D operation, include acceleration for 3D rendering as well --
and the ATI Rage 128 boards that I've used (including the one I'm
writing this on...) have all fallen into the latter category.
[Generally, a manufacturer is not going to bring out a 3D-only
accelerator in AGP format, only in PCI.  If it's in AGP, the board
must include normal 2D video functionality, because that's where the
system will send any requests for such functions.]

>   Is there some significant benefit to acquiring a monitor that has
> built-in USB ports or is that really unrelated to the display
> function?

  Building a USB hub into the monitor, like building in speakers,
saves clutter and can look impressive on the destop.  Neither affects
the monitor's video capabilities, unless the manufacturer found it
necessary to compromise on them to fit in the extra "features".  [As
a general rule of thumb, multiple-function devices may limit your
flexibility for future component-by-component upgrades.  They're
better suited to cases where one is buying to a pre-packaged fixed
spec, and expects to retire the whole system at that same spec, than
for tinkerers/upgraders on a budget.]

David G