From:
Sylvie De Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:19:45 -0500
1.  I know exactly what you mean:  when the system boots up, the following
message displays on-screen:  FOUND CD-ROM : MATSHITA CR 574.

2.  The drive has always worked fine; never had any problems.

3.  The CD-ROM was part of the original system when I bought it in October
1995.  Since then I changed the motherboard, display card, RAM etc. Only the
floppy and CD-ROM are devices that came with the original system.  Both are
still working fine.  Please note that I have no difficulty whatsoever
installing NT4, Corel Linux, Windows 95 (fat16 and fat32), software
applications such as Office Suites, Anti-virus utilities, any third-party
applications that come on CD, accessing clip-art CDs.

4.  I am at a lost at the moment and I really don't know what to do.  I
followed Bob Wright's instructions (refer to the thread) but I am still
stuck.  I searched the Panasonic (Matshita) Web site and found a file named
(58x_9x.exe).  I might as well give it a try and start all over again.

5.  As an alternative, it has been suggested to me to temporarily connect my
system to an external CD-ROM device and simply dump the CAB files on to the
HD and then execute the setup.

6.  Finally, I don't want to buy a new CD-ROM simply to install Win98, mine
is still working fine.