From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 10:28:02 -0800
On 12 May 98 at 21:01, =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Dante_D._Lo wrote:

>   I have an AST adventure 8090p computer. I want upgrade my
> disk space, but I have a problem. In my MoBo I have only one IDE
> connector, the another connector is empty (it has not the pins) and
> only the silvery points are there. I need that IDE connector, cause
> I'll have two HD and one CD-ROM (The CD-ROM can't be connected to
> the Sound Blaster card cause it's a SONY CD-ROM, I tried but it
> didn't work).

  Typically, IDE controllers provide one channel and EIDE controllers
provide two.  If your motherboard maker chose not to provide a
connector for a second channel, they may not have used a controller
that would provide one, either....

>   I thought to get de IDE connector and solder it to the MoBo.
> I have no experience with these things, I'm only an "amateur".
>
>  Well,my question is: What is the risk of make this?. I can damage
> my MoBo?

  Yes.

  Circuit boards, including motherboards, are typically "wave
soldered".  All of the components are mounted, and then a process
does all of the soldering to the underside in one pass.
  The details of the process aren't important.  What *is* important
is that the board and its components were not designed for piece-meal
individual soldering, and it will be difficult to open the holes for
the additional connector without damaging something else.  It can be
done, but "don't try this at home".

  Given that adding the connector may not be sufficient, I'd much
rather look at adding an EIDE controller card (or sound card with an
IDE connector?) than perform risky experimental surgery.

David G