From:
Don LeCLaire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:06:36 -0500
Dear PC-BUILDERS,

   I have an internal Panasonic/Matsushita CW-7502 CDR drive
that has been giving me problems since I installed it and I'm
trying to determine whether the drive is faulty or I have a
configuration or hardware support problem. My system is a 200mhz
Pentium Pro, 64MB RAM, on an AIR P6-NDP motherboard
(http://www.airwebs.com/p6ndp.html) running Windows 95.
The motherboard has an onboard Adaptec AHA7880 Ultra Wide SCSI
controller servicing both the CDR drive and a 3.2GB Quantum
Fireball hard drive. CDR software is the latest Adaptec
CD Creator Deluxe and Direct CD.

   The first problem is it takes 30 seconds or more from the
time you insert a CD to the time you are able to open a window
to the drive. During this time any clicking on the
drive icon can cause the entire system to lock up to the
point where a hardware reset is your only option. Once the
drive responds it seems to perform Ok for reading CDs and
writing packet data via Direct CD software. Does this sound
like a driver problem, hardware timeouts, something else?
Is there anything I can do to increase response time?

The second problem is more serious and occurs during CD copying
using the CD Creator Pro software. Attempting to copy a CD
image from the Quantum drive to the CDR sometimes works and
sometimes doesn't. I've got a nice collection of CD coasters
but not a lot of successful CD copies. I originally had a
NEC CD drive on the same SCSI bus with the hard drive and
CDR and found that to be totally unworkable. I believe the
SCSI bus is terminated properly so at this point I'm out of
ideas. Is there any other tests I can run to determine
where the problem might be? Thanks in advance for your help.

--don

###  Don LeClaire - Senior Software Design Engineer        ###
###  work: [log in to unmask] - General Dynamics   ###
###  home: [log in to unmask] - www.berkshire.net/~cosmo  ###