From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:51:28 -0700
Time for my 2cents. I personally don't like to use anything magnetic near
electronics. Being a mechanic of sorts by trade, refrigeration, I like to
use a "screw starter". It uses spring action to hold screws. Much more
secure than magnetic. Available for both Phillips and straight blade screws.
I get mine off the Snap On truck, but they are available at Sears and many
auto parts stores. Great for those itsy bitsy 6-32x3/8 screws that I can
barely pick up let alone start with a half dozen wires on it. Be aware that
any magnetic tools in proximity to non-magnetic tools, metal, of course will
become magnetized. Such as when tossed into a tool box or bag.
Brad Loomis,
Los Angeles, CA

> Also, I remember reading this somewhere, but can't find it- about magnetic
> tip screwdrivers- are they ok to use? I remember that they don't have a
> strong enough magnetic to bother anything, but want to ask again.

I once saw a computer instructor (He knew better, but he was in a hurry -
and that's when accidents happen!) install a videocard, tighten the screw,
put down the screwdriver, power up the system, and try to load the video
drivers from the 5 1/4 inch floppy disk he had just put the screwdriver
on...