From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:05:45 GMT
I need to respectfully disagree with this response.  While some overlays can
be removed using fdisk (though you need to use the /mbr switch), some
actually require the overlay program disk itself for removal.  I have a
Maxtor 4.3GB HD that had an overlay on it, and I did everything short of a
low-level format to try and get rid of it.  Nothing worked until I obtained
a copy of the ACTUAL VERSION of this particular overlay program and removed
it using the programs remove utility.  IMHO, that is the safest way to make
sure the overlay is completely gone.

I would assume the reason this is done this way is so you don't have to
re-install the overlay on an older system should you decide to fdisk and
re-partition the drive.

Kyle