From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:41:10 GMT
Bill,

You have received a few good responses on this, but I would like to bounce
off of this one in particular.  I have "NEVER" found a program that I could
not get to run out of Windows 95 or 98.  This includes some very legacy DOS
applications.  It is all a matter of allocating the memory in your DOS
session.  I will admit to having spent some huge chunks of time trying to
figure out just what those settings where supposed to be, but I have always
gotten something to work.

I have even run into a few that have insisted that I run the program in a
DOS only session, but I have still managed to get them to run out of a DOS
session in Windows.  The only disadvantage to this is you might not get the
same performance out of the program, especially with games.  What Jim
mentions here is the best way to set them up.  This will allow you to change
the environment variables just like you would use the CONFIG.SYS or
AUTOEXEC.BAT in DOS to vary your memory settings.

Good luck, and feel free to respond to me offline if you need help with any
of these settings.

Kyle