From:
"S. Stubbs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:15:44 -0500
I have two hard drives as well. The second larger D: drive can be made into the primary drive.
First it is good to make a backup of your system. Then I suggest a good thing to get would be
a program called Ghost from Symantec. Symantec may have a complimentary version of this
program available at their website that would work for a limited time. Many people use this
complimentary version. It is a drive cloning program. I would also get Partition
Magic(optional) as it is good partitioning program.

First,Install Ghost and Partition Magic if you bought them..
On the BIG day, Backup everything! Make a emergency startup disk
or even several of them. Then take a big breath.
You would use FDISK or Partition Magic on the D:drive. Caution:
great risk with FDISK. It  will delete your data, so be prepared already.
Make the D:drive  have primary active partition. You make Partitions with
FDISK program or you can use Partition Magic, both programs do the same
thing, they partition. You can make what partitions
you desire, just make sure you have a primary active one for the OS to
go on.
Then FORMAT /S your D:drive (the /s switch puts the system files on the active
primary drive), and  then  you use Ghost from your C:drive to make a clone(the clone is
an image of your data, such as progams and most importantly Win98) of the C:drive and put it
on your newly formatted D:drive. (I am not sure here of exactly how Ghost works,
since I don't have it, so read the help files in the program).
Then you take your D:drive in the machine, find the jumper on it
and set the jumper to "master in 2 drive system"(this changes it to C:) You would also
set the jumper on the  C:drive to a new "slave in 2 drive system" (this changes it to D:).
Then you would boot up and see, good luck!!
During all these procedures you will need your startup disk in case the
PC won't boot, the startup disk has FDISK and FORMAT programs on it, in
case you need to use them from the disk instead of the C:drive. I have many
startup disks!!!
The startup disk also has enough info so that you can get to the setup on the
win98CD and install onto a fresh drive. Since you will be cloning your drive,
you don't need to install a fresh OS unless you want to start over. You will be using
the clone made by Ghost.
PLease, read up on all these procedures!! Take notes, and ask questions.
I hope I have put everything in the right order here for you and if I have forgot
something maybe another post will supply you more information.

Please Backup your data first!!! because you will be deleting and at risk of losing
data. Good luck, and remember to read up on all this.  I go to websites and there
is much information on the web about how to do this..It can be done, I have
done it, and am just a dumb soul who works a minimum wage job, and plays PC
at night.......
Please good luck and have fun!!
Sincerely,
Susan Stubbs

Goodmorning Art   I do have two hard drives.  I had one installed after I purchased my comp.   My comp. is Aptiva IBM ,Pentium II

Using Win 98   I purchased my comp. for Home use, not bus.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html