From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:03:10 -0400
Stan,
I confess that this thread has gone beyond my personal knowledge about ram.
To repeat again what Kingston says, 'registered' is a method of charging the
sdram and is used for dense ram packages.  'Charging' is part of the process
of powering the ram.  Smaller densities of 128 and 64 meg don't need special
considerations for charging, and are sometimes refered to as 'unbuffered'
because of this.  Although it seems to me from my reading that unbuffered
256 meg sdram is available, according to you your 256 meg sdram is
'registered'.  Kingston says on their website that unbuffered 64 or
unbuffered 128 sdram will not work when mixed with registered sdram.
(These sort of website pronouncements I always interpret to mean 'in
general' and not absolutely, so their could be new motherboards that are
exceptions, and I make this distinction because there is other evidence on
Kingston's website to indicate they are not updating all the pages
religiously).
Now, from reading your replies, it appears your manual claims to support
registered sdram, but does not claim to support mixing unbuffered and
registered sdram.  I would send the 256 meg sdram back, possibly in exchange
for 2 128 meg sdram.

On a completely different subject, if you are seeing all of your installed
ram in use on a win9x or me pc and you have 128 meg or more of ram, you
should not be using a permanent fixed size swap file.  I have seen a lot of
posts here about doing this.  I do a lot of work in sql, and I often saw
temporary swap files 4 or 5 times my 128 meg of installed ram.  With 256 meg
of sdram installed sql can still gorge itself on disk space, sometimes more
than 500 meg.  (I suppose I should point out that my sql tables are huge.)
It is not a small problem when the swap file can't expand and I got an
error. With something like you are doing, there might never be a safe size
to set for the permanent swap file, you should let windows manage it.

Tom Turak