From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:13:56 -0500
At 11:20 AM 1/27/1999 David G wrote:

>> You need special LLF software specifically designed for this hard
>> drive. Go to the maker's web site for the LLF software.
>
>  Note that this is an exception -- probably the only one! -- to the
>rule that IDE/EIDE drives should not be low-level formatted by end
>users.  Attempting to do so with a tool not specifically designed for
>the drive may ruin it beyond practical repair!

To amplify the seriousness of the undertaking, you
should not low level format ("LLF") unless you
absolutely want to delete all data on the disk in
an user unrecoverable manner, or if you cannot
afford to lose the drive if things go badly.

Since the user will lose all data (or already lost
it), a backup should be made. However, disks older
than 5 years, those ravaged by a virus, or those
someone-gave-it-to-me drives, should be considered
prime candidates for a LLF.

That said, there is no reason to be daunted more
than you would by handling a $200 processor. One
needs to follow a protocol and I suggest the following:

1. Use special LLF software specifically designed for
the make and model of your IDE drive. The drive maker
will have software on their Website, or you can use
third party software like Troubleshooter, Ontrack, or
Microhouse's (all have significant costs but will LLF
other brand drives and have other features). The software
MUST be able to issue the on-drive LLF commands specific
to that drive. NEVER use the CMOS hard drive formatter for
an IDE or SCSI drive.

2. Position the drive as it will be installed in the
computer. This addresses gravity and environmental issues.

3. Verify the connections, hard drive's drive select
jumpers, CMOS settings, hard drive parameters, and the
disk assignment (i.e. whether it is Disk 0, 1, 2 or 3).

4. Run the drive at least 20 minutes and exercise
the head actuator (say, run SCANDISK) to warm up the
drive. This addresses thermal expansion and head
positioning concerns.

5. Run the software. The software should identify the
drive EXACTLY, otherwise you should abort the procedure.
Either you must select the model, or the software will
identify it by polling the firmware on the drive. Follow
the instructions exactly. If you have any doubts, abort.

No microcomputer technician should be overly worried
about doing this. If you are a guru-in-training, practice
on an old IDE hard drive (leave it the only drive in the
system).  Good luck.

Regards,

John Chin

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: