From:
John Hornbuckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 07:59:23 -0400
>Need advise on hardware and netOS.

   I'm no expert on ISDN, so I'll defer comments on that to other members
of this list or your local phone company.
   I do know that when I'm choosing a network operating system, I like to
confer with the publishers of whatever software the client plans on sharing
over the network. In some scenarious, Lantastic is fine. Sometimes, though,
the customer's software won't work with Lantistic, but is guaranteed to
work with Netware. In other cases, NT is the better route.
   I will say this much... I'm a big fan of NT, but Netware is still the
road I generally take when I want the client to have a server that will run
for months at a time without interaction from them. There. I've said it.   :-)
   As for the hardware of the server, there are formulas you can use to
determine the amount of RAM needed based on the number of users you'll
have. If I were building a server--whether for NT or Netware--I'd go ahead
and use the fastest PII available (unless it's a really big network that
warrants the use of a multiprocessor DEC Alpha machine or something similar).
   I assume you'll be using good ol' 10Base-T Ethernet cabling and network
cards. Depending on the bandwidth you'll need, you may want to think about
going with Fast Ethernet.
   Hope this gives you something to start with...

John Hornbuckle

Phoenix Computer Systems, Inc.
114 West Green Street
Perry, FL 32347