From:
John Hornbuckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:45:32 -0400
>>        I have a friend that wants to add memory to his Compaq Presario
>>850(486/50).  Compaq only has recommended part numbers for Compaq memory
>>modules.  Is Compaq memory proprietary or can I install generic?

> it's proprietary...like everything else by compaq...

   Unfortunately, Compaq's ARE very proprietary. With RAM, however, this
shouldn't really be a problem. I would recommend getting Kingston RAM. This
is a great brand, and they have chips designed to work in just about every
brand and model of PC. They guarantee compatability, too. All you have to
do is give them Compaq's part number, and they'll tell you what your
options are. It should be much less expensive than Compaq's own brand.

John Hornbuckle

Phoenix Computer Systems, Inc.
114 West Green Street
Perry, FL 32347