From:
James Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:30:53 -0600
You should go for it, but,
1st things first.  I would suggest that you take out the memory in your computer that works, and take it with you when you return to the store where you purchased the additional memory.  Get that squared away first...the more memory the better.

Now, before you make changes to your "working" computer, you need to gather some tools.  go to the web site of the manufacturer of your machine, armed with your serial # and any other info you have.  there are almost always updates available.  Look for ROM Flash utilities and for set-up utilities that are newer than what you already have.  Down load those and make the disks following the instructions that come along...don't install yet.
You will also need  floppy disks with "f-disk", format, and CD rom drivers on them, (I use 3 separate ones)...and some instruction on how to use it.  you probably got disks with your computer when you purchased it...put it in the drive and check the contents of the disks to see what's there.
Also make sure you have your installation code #'s for your new win 98 disk...
Now you're ready

start with the rom flash up-date..put it in the drive, then start the computer and follow instructions...it makes changes to your M-board, not the hard drive, restart

now boot to the disk containing f disk.  at   a:\ type FDISK and follow instructions to remove/delete all partitions on your drive, restart

next the boot to the set-up utilities disk, if applicable...it should ask to add a partition for itself..let it.
now boot into FDISK again, this time to set a large active dos partition...this is where all your data will go.  re-start
now use a boot disk to get to an a: prompt...there type format c:  this takes some time and prepares the disk to receive data.
Now you have a perfectly blank hard drive ready to go

re-start with the floppy containing the cd rom drivers in the a: drive...it should prompt you to start computer with cd rom support...you'll see the win 98 set-up and you are ready to go...make sure you have your #'s for the win 98 install, you'll go no where with out those

#1. I have a 300 MHZ computer 128 MB RAM 4 gig HD partioned into 2
(2000).  I am thinking about installing Win 98 SE.  Would it be better to
re-partion the HD into one drive reformat and then install as my CD is
full reversion. I am not sure that I know how but I have downloaded
instructions.

#2.  I had recently install another 128 MB of Ram and shortly afterwards
my computer would lock up.  I removed it and it seems ok now.  I have a
small file that reads the speed of the processor and it now reads on 285
MHZ.  Does this mean something has happened to the processor as it used
to read 300.x MHZ.
Thanks
Joe         [log in to unmask]
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!