From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 17:02:47 -0600
At 04:17 PM 05/04/2000 , Dean Kukral wrote:
>Recently I modified my 450 PIII by doing a clean install of
>Windows 98 onto a WD 30Gb disk drive.  I also replaced
>my modem with a USR ISA Faxmodem and my sound
>card with a Soundblaster Live X-Gamer.  I kept my Viper
>770 (TNT2 with TNT drivers).
>
>Now, when I boot up, I get to the place where the mb
>says "Searching for boot record from IDE-0..OK"
>and then the computer takes a nap for two to ten
>minutes.  Eventually Windows loads and there
>are no other symptoms of anything wrong.
>
>It sounds like the computer is having trouble reading
>the windows loader, but I have performed a scandisk
>twice with nothing wrong detected...
>
>Anybody have any ideas?
>
>This is my wife's computer (the old one worked great),
>so, naturally, I get, "If you are such a great computer
>genius, why can't you fix this??"  :(   (She doesn't use
>those Exact words, but you get the picture!)

This sounds like it could be one of two issues:

1)  The BIOS is having difficulty dealing with this large hard
       drive and needs to be upgraded, if possible; or,
2)  You have an incorrect jumper setting on the drive or
       drives, (if this has multiple IDE devices).

I would double check both of these...

        Bob Wright
Then NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: