From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 17:08:24 -0600
At 10:19 PM 05/04/2000 , you wrote:
>Thanks, Kyle.  I think that I have fixed the problem thanks
>to your help.  I am a bit embarassed to relate my tale, but
>it may help others with this drive.
>
>First, I took out the drive to remove the jumper as Kyle
>suggested, but, **blush**, I discovered that there was
>no jumper on the drive!!  I had installed Windows on
>a single drive system and forgotten to add the jumper
>when I put the other drives in.  (I have dockable drives
>so all this is easy.) The CMOS did recognize the
>drive, however.
>
>So, I put the jumper on the middle set of pins, as a
>master requires.  But, it still did not work properly.
>
>Now, this drive came with a small yellow sheet of
>paper giving jumper instructions.  I had used these at
>first, but the one I tried did not work, so I blew them off and
>used the "standard" settings.  (And forgot about the
>yellow sheet.) So, when I remembered, I gave myself
>a dope slap and tried the WD recommended jumper
>setting.  Lo and behold, it worked!
>
>Now, lest you think that I should have followed the
>directions all along, I remind you that I did have trouble
>early on.  Furthermore, my own computer has the standard
>jumper setting with this drive and works fine.
>
>So for anyone with the WD 30 gig drive, here is what
>they recommend.
>
>Here is the pinout:
>
>       9  7  5  3  1
>           8  6  4  2
>
>WD recommends:
>
>   For a single drive, jumper  7/8 and 1/2.
>   For a master, jumper  7/8 and 5/6.
>   For a slave, jumper 3/4 and 1/2.
>   For cable select, jumper 5/6 and 1/2.
>
>I think that it was the single drive settings that did not work
>for me.  I used it with no jumper and it worked fine (as a
>single drive.)
>
>Thanks, again.
>
>  Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]

I checked on Western Digitals web site and they have this alternative
jumper pin setting for large drives with 9 pins:

For a Single drive installation,
jumper pins 7 to 8 and 2 to 4.

For a Master drive installation in a two drive installation,
jumper pins 7 to 8, pins 5 to 6 and pins 2 to 4.

For a Slave installation in a two drive installation,
jumper pins 2 to 4.

You might want to try these, in case you decide to add additional
devices later on.

       Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: