From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:59:05 +1000
Jim wrote:
>Is there any danger if  I delete them?>>

Yes, there may be. Some installations use log files for their uninstalls.
If you delete these, you will not easily be able to  uninstall some programs.

Many monitoring utilities also use these files to keep a record of past
details. If you have any of these, you may also limit their capabilities.
AVG, for example, uses "hidden" log files to monitor its updates. In some
cases, the log file size should be limited by option settings within the
particular software, so that they don't "grow forever". In other cases,
this limitation will be built into the program.

So be selective in which ones to delete, if you must. Personally, I don't
usually bother---they are harmless and don't take up much space in
comparison to the size of modern drives. As they are purely passive,
there's no performance gain by removing them.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads