From:
Ron Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 06:01:12 -0800
Bob,
    I plan to swap motherboards (maybe I should  build a new computer).  I currenlty
have an old 486 75 mHz.  Everything works fine, I just need more power and more space
on the hard disk drive.
    Consequently, a list of the web sites that give step by step instructions for
swapping motherboards would be very helpful.
    A couple of miscellaneous questions:
        1.  Would you make a jumb now to a pentium II motherboard?
         2.  Can this be done with a reasonable investment?
        3.   If I jumb to a pentium II, what other   hardware must normally be
replaced?
        4.   What features would you recommend getting on the new motherboard?
                a.  Which chipset?
                b.   Which caches and what capacity?
                c.   Univerasal serial bus?
                d.   number of and type of slots?
                e.   Other features that one should look for?

Are motherboards sold by Fry's reliable?

    Thanks.