From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 22:02:40 -0800
Anne Neighbors wrote:
> I would like to know if it is a good practice to leave your computer on
> during the day if no one is in the general area to take notice of it.
No. Like anything that requires electricity, the more you use the more you
pay and I for one go around turning off lights that are not needed.

>I live alone and always turn my laptop off when I leave the house,

This is a sound practice. It not only saves electricity, it also prolongs
the life of the machine.

When I build a system for a client, I set it up in such a way that various
components will shut down to save the system and electricity. There are
people that will start the system, work on it for a while, get a phone call,
and walk away... The system is whirring away using resources and gathering
dust in the cooling fans. I set them to hibernate after an hour or so. They
loose nothing and are able to pick up where they left off.

> I'm having second thoughts.  Do you think I should leave it on all day,
> whether I'm around or not?

<smile> Unless you have unlimited resources, (money)continue to do as you
do.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers