Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 10:22:32 -0500
Hi Dorothy,

I assume you are referring to the CD-ROM drive. If so, look at the front of
the drive and you should see a small hole, usually below the tray (port).
Straighten a paper clip and work it into the hole until it releases and pops
out slightly. Then you can manually open it completely. If you don't have a
paper clip, a straight pin or a needle will work just as well. If there is a
CD in the tray, remove it and attempt to close and open the tray using the
"eject" button. If that fails, then the drive mechanism isn't working and
you will need to replace the drive (it isn't worth repairing). Nowadays you
can buy a CD rewriter (CD-RW) drive cheaper than a CD-ROM. They are easy to
install, just follow the instructions included with the drive.

I suggest you contact the person you got the computer from and get them to
fill you in on it's history, other problems they had, etc. If you don't have
the manual you can go to the manufacturer's Web site and look for "Support".
If they still support the model you have they probably have the manual and
other documentation available for download. Good luck...

Sven Swanson, Sr.