From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:10:01 -0400
Jim Meagher wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with the reliability of the 6L printer?
> Our church has one that failed just 48 days out of warranty.
> The error message is FUSER ERROR.
>
> I have been asked "Is it worth repairing or should we just buy
> a replacement?"  The repairs are *estimated* at $150 and a new one
> costs $350.

Jim,
I repaired an HP 3p ( a classic) some time ago that had 120,000 pages
on it.  It now has over 200,000 and I am no longer inclined to repair
it.    Think of it this way:  too few pages and your throwing good money
after bad, too many pages and its time to put the old horse to rest.
As for a repair cost to replace cost ratio being a rule of thumb, a better
rule is money over time.  How much time can you reasonably get out
of the repair? What is the monthly allocation of the repair cost over the
expected increase in service life?
If it less than the replacement cost divided by the service life
of the new printer, your under budget.
I don't buy extended service contracts.
Tom Turak

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**