From:
Alan Priol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:11:53 +1100
Hi, I just had a 20GB Maxtor hard drive that started refusing to be
accessed at start-up. A surface scan showed many bad sectors and
appeared to a finished drive. I downloaded a diagnostic disk from Maxtor
which ran a series of tests which included surface scan, burn-in, and a
low level format after which the hard drive was partitioned and
formatted. The result was an error free disk. This diagnostic program
was for Maxtor and I believe Quantum drives. Maybe it would work on
other drives. It would be worth a try.

Cheers,
Alan Priol.

I was switching HDs and the one I use regularly suddenly died after
booting
up. After closer look, it does not power itself at all. I cannot feel
the
vibration and heat a HD usually generates. Of course, it does not show
up
on BIOS either. I never had any problem before this happens. That leads
me
to believe it's the power portion of it goes bad that my data is there
fine. I think my drive is still under warranty. WD probably has 3 year
warranty and my drive is only 1.5 years. I don't want to send it back
and
wait for it to come back. My main system and software and some personal
data are all on there.

Does anyone know if there is way to fix it by myself?

TIA,

Changhsu Liu

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml