From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 10:59:18 -0700
On Wed, 29 May 2002 09:27:57 -0400, Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> I would guess that there has not been any great increase in the per
>> capita consumption of "sugar" during the period where heart disease has
>> increased.
>
>I understand your point which is that the emhasis on low fat diets has led
>to huge increases in carb consumption and I agree completely, but there has
>also been a huge increase in sugar consumption over the last 30 years
>especially.
>
>Unprecedented amounts of sugared sodas consumed and sugar in all processed
>foods. People eat more and more processed foods and "snack" foods which are
>loaded with sugar along with other carbs.
>
>Interestingly, sugar has never been so cheap either.

Actually, what you find in all these foods is not so much "sugar",
although there is plenty of it, but primarily other sweeteners, such as
"corn syrup".

While "sugar" is processed and refined paleo food, "corn syrup" is made
entirely from a non-paleo food which often has "aflatoxins" - and
according to Drs. Eades, has unique unhealthy effects.

I don't know of any effects of sugar consumption beyond its effects on
blood sugar levels and insulin levels (which isn't to say that both of
those aren't of paramount importance).

Other high glycemic index carbohydrates - like white bread and corn
syrup - have those problems plus foreign proteins and other unhealthy
effects.

--
Cheers,

Ken