Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:28:42 -0400
Adrienne Smith posted:
>>I have been eating raw almond butter and raw almonds to help increase my
>>dietary calcium ,,,,,am concerned that the oxalate content will block
calcium.Also, it seems as though the "high calcium" veggies also contain
high oxalate levels.

My reply:
Actually, the most nutritious greens---Kale, collards and mustard
greens---do not contain oxalic acid, which is found in spinach and chard.
Cooking the hardy greens (above) reduces 4 packed, raw cups to 1 cooked cup.
Sauteing works best but simmering or steamd can be done if the greens are
young and tender.  The stems are edible, best and tastiest after a frost,
but good if sliced thinly and sauteed with onions, mushrooms, garlic,
ginger, or what have you... before adding the chopped leaves to a skillet.

>>I am concerned because there is a lot of osteoporosis in my family.  Any help
would be most appreciated.

My reply:
There's evidence that cutting out the soda and sugary foods in general, will
help to reduce calcium losses.  Read Nancy Appleton's books, Lick the Sugar
Habit, and another one on calcium (see Price Pottenger Nutrition
Foundation's catalog on line or by calling 1-800-366-3748).

Diet is just one thing you can change to reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
Just as importatnt is what you eat is what you do with your days and nights.
Weight bearing exericse, preferably weight training, can build bone density.
Using tiny 5 or 7 pound dumbells or training the way most women do in a gym
(without direction, a plan or an understanding of proper form and
progressive resistance) doesn't do much except burn calories.  You need to
do exericises that work the large muscle groups and you must progressively
increase the weights.  In some studies, women in their 60s have added 2 or
3% bone mass per year.

You might also want to check out a vigorous form of yoga such as Ashtanga or
Bikram yoga to further build strength, flexibility (which most folks lose as
they age... use it or lose it!).  The hunched over elderly people you see
are examples of what hapens when a body is not used properly.

Good luck,

Rachel