From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:15:12 +0000
On Mar 06, 2007, at 3:32 pm, Paleo Phil wrote:

> Damage to the intestinal villi and microvilli is one example of
> this sort of
> damage. It's common among celiacs; some never recover from it. Also "a
> common cause of malabsorption is insufficient production of digestive
> enzymes by the pancreas, as occurs with some pancreatic diseases,
> or by the
> small intestine, as occurs in lactase deficiency. Decreased
> production of
> bile, too much acid in the stomach, or too many of the wrong kinds of
> bacteria growing in the small intestine may also interfere with
> digestion."
> http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch125/ch125a.html

Until I read that I thought all coeliacs recovered from the damage to
their intestines.  Sounds like there's a lot of things that can go
permanently wrong with your digestion if you stay on a bad diet for
too long.

This makes me mad.  I'm not so bothered about having lost years of my
life to sickness - I've got enough left to not worry too much.  What
gets me is that all the stuff I was told to eat "because it's good
for you" has left me with permanent damage.  Now admittedly I got off
relatively lightly, but it is frustrating to think my body might
never function as well as it should.  (End rant)

Incidentally, I've just ordered 90x 20mg zinc citrate + 1.25mg copper
gluconate.  Any idea what dose I should start on to see if I've got a
problem with zinc absorption?

Ashley