From:
Micki Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:53:10 MST
Thank you jean-claude for your post on the "savage noble." It is true that
guilt plays no productive role on either side of the environmental, or any
other fence. It is better to look at things logically with what will do the
most good for all, or at least with an attitude of enlightened self-interest.
Enlightened self interest dictates that we protect the environment, and cease
from the greedy exploitation of people and resources, in order to have a
decent world that future generations of plants, animals, and people can
inherit. By introducing a new dietetic paradigm to as many people as possible,
not as "evangelists" but as enlightened informed consumers and individuals
interested in improving the quality of health and living, we set in motion
those things which will have far reaching wonderful and awful consequences.
Wonderful in that overall health will improve, and the problems that go with
ill health in a given population will slowly and surely diminish. This can
have the "awful" consequences of changing our current economy. What will the
pharmeceutical companies do with no one to push their drugs to? Or managed
care with not enough people to fill their overpriced hospital beds? Surgeons
will go begging and will have to give up their golf club memberships!
Oncologists will be going into another line of business. Selling car insurance
perhaps? What will the Multinational Agribusinesses do with no one to sell
their corn and wheat and soy to? What about Coffee Beans and Canned Orange
Juice? I dare say that Pork Bellies and Beef will go way up, so we'll have to
find ways of "stocking" up on our own animals. Commodities will go topsy
turvy, and if we've thought that the stock market has been volitile, we ain't
seen nothin' yet! All we have to do is watch a few commercials to see that
marketers pay a lot of attention to trends. The times I look in on my partner
when he's watching the TV and see the commercials I see that all the food
commercials are for carbohydrates and fast foods and empty calories. They're
still lulling people with terms like "fat free" and "heart healthy." While
those of us benefitting from the elimination of these things continue to be a
mostly very quiet "revolution" gaining power slowly in it's grass roots
continuation. Dr. Atkins was right on 30 years ago when he called his program
a diet revolution. We are the beneficiaries of all that research and the
ridicule from the status quo. Change has always been the only inevitability.