From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:33:28 +0200

At 07:10 1999-08-09 -0700, you wrote:
>I could be wrong, but didn't the Coast Indians and other Indian tribes of
>the Pacific Northwest have a lot of slaves? And, they were leading a HG
>existence, right?

That is the exception, yes, but only partly, because west coast indians
relied heavily on salmon which they dried and stored, so their economy was
similar to agrarian. The famous psychologist Ericson has written about
the big difference between w c indians and the Sioux.
When there is something to store, there is often someone who starts
collecting and taking care of what the others produce, f ex to save
for a party. After some time he is kind of a boss, and has helpers,
and so the unequality is there. Read about this in "Kings and Cannibals"
a book which Ray refers to now and then. I read it some 25-30 years ago.

- Hans