Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:19:37 -0400
Judy Genova posted this:
>>Maybe I'm simpleminded, but here's how I look at the Cordain low fat approach
vs. Eades higher fat approach to paleo eating....

Reply:
Cordain's approach is not a fat-free nor a low-fat approach. Although he
advocates buying the leanest cuts of meat and using poultry breast (not
thighs, drums or wings), he advocates adding healthful omega 3s and
monounsaturates to the meals/dishes.  His diet would not fall into a low-fat
camp. Cordain outlines 28 to 47% fat by calories.  He allows up to 4 ounces
(1 CUP) of nuts per day if you are trying to lose weight---which is very
generous if you ask me.  One cup of nuts contains 800 calories, which for
some individuals would represent 1/2 to 1/3 of daily calorie needs on a
weight loss diet (and for some 1/3 of daily calorie  needs at maintenance!).
He also allows oil (mostly flax but also olive and some canola).  So, in
practice, some individuals may overshoot their calorie needs and taken in a
lot of fat, even with his plan, because he does not off a specific oil
limit.

What he is against is the fat from modern factory farmed animals because his
research shows that the fat of wild animals was/is very different in
composition (lower in total fat and richer in monunsaturated and
superunsaturated/omega 3s).  Modern meat, like vegetable oils, contains many
times more omega 6 than omega 3 fat and there is ample research (not just
Cordain's) indicating that this imbalance is a factor in most modern health
problems/diseases.

Cordain recommends eating as much non-starchy vegetables and fruit as you
like.  Some people on this list have criticized this, saying that modern
fruit is somehow not paleo and bears no resemblance to wild fruit.  This is
comical if you consider that modern livestock have been selectively bred for
at least as long (if not longer) than modern fruit.  The comical part is
that people are rejecting the fruit because it has been bred and changed but
they are not rejecting modern meat and its fat, which has been selectively
bred as much or more (but not for better nutrition)!

Also note that, fruit (even modern fruit) is far more nutritious than modern
grain fed animal fat.  There are reams of studies showing the health
benefits of eating an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables.  Since few
Americans (less than 3% by some estimates) consume even 5 (one-half to 1)
cup servings of produce per day, one CANNOT say that Americans are over fat
and unhealthy because they eat too many servings of fruits and vegetables.

Those (on this list) who believe the only or best way to get results on a
paleo diet is by eating a low-carb, high fat diet are merely speculating.
Who is to say that BETTER results cannot be had by eating far more
vegetables and fruits and moderating the fat??  It is simply not true across
the board that eating generous amounts of fruit and vegetables with lean
protein and healthy fats, even consuming two to four pounds of produce per
day (as some paleo groups have been found to do and some on this list do),
would in any way be harmful to even the sickest American---with heart
disease, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, etc.  In fact, eating too
few vegetables and fruits may hinder one in achieving a high potassium to
sodium ratio, as found univerally among paleo groups.  This could limit the
benefits of the paleo diet.

In earlier versions of Ray's NEANDERTHIN he lists some of his sample menus.
When I analzyed them for carbohydrate content a few years ago, I found that
on many days he was probably ingesting 200 to 300 grams of carbs PER DAY!
These came from fresh fruits, fruit juice, and trail mix.  Of couse he also
ate a lot of fat and protein---his calories needs are apparently very high.
So his approach is not necessarily low in carbohydrates.

Judy wrote:
>>For me, it would be deer, rabbit, wild turkey, grouse, mink,  woodchuck,
beaver, squirrel, snake, wild raspberries, wild grapes, wild apples, wild
elderberries, jerusalem artichokes, phragmites,  dandelion greens, mustard
greens, poke, milkweed, hickory nuts, acorns,  black walnuts, lake trout,
lake salmon, smelt, bass, pike.

My reply:
Cordain is not against any of the foods you mention.  Most Americans,
however, are not hunting for game, they are shopping in supermarkets and
will not have access to all those wild foods.  He is apparently keen on
salmon, walnuts, etc.  So you needn't give those up.  I suggest reading his
book.... you may get a skewed view from the comments on this list.  Again,
Cordain is not advocating a low fat diet, only healthy fats and oils, and
commonly available protein foods (the leanest cuts) that contain limited
amounts of omega 6s and excess saturated fats.

Happy New Year!

Rachel

PS.  I am commenting on Judy's post as well as others....