Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:16:11 -0400
M.E. C" posted:
>>>also...i have read that you should never heat flax oil but in several of the
books recipes flax oil is used to rub meat and 400 degree heat is called
for. what's the deal with this?

My take on it is this:
Flax oil should be kept in the refrigerator (or better yet, the freezer).
It is pressed in the dark and vacuum sealed in dark bottles to protect it
from light, heat, and oxygen.  It should not be left open for very long.
Cordain may not be aware that flax oil should not be heated, nor should any
oil rich in PUFAS, as this creates lipid peroxides.  On a visible level, if
you oil pans with oils rich in PUFAS (canola, corn, saflower, sunflower,
etc), then bake in the oven, you will (eventually) get a sticky plastic like
coating on the pans that is impossible to get off.

Olive oil should be extra virgin; walnut oil, and canola (if used) should be
VIRGIN-PRESSED and packed in dark black or brown bottles.  Oils sold in
clear glass or plastic bottles are damaged even before you open them, even
if sold in so-called "health food" stores.  Companies such as Flora and
Omega Nutrition properly press and package their oils and warn about the
hazards of heating the oils, other than olive.

Also, to reduce oxidative damage here's a trick I learned more than a dozen
years ago: Add several drops vitamin E oil to each bottle of opened oil to
protect it.  If you have vitamin E capsules, open one with a pine and
squeeze it into the bottle.... I do the same for any salad dressings I make
with PUFA rich oils.

Rachel