From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:08:43 EDT
I have one thing to say about this recommendation- GASP! I'll be eager to sit
back and watch what all my Paleolistmates have to say! Dori, Todd, Andrew,
Oliva, Theola, Everyone- c'mon ya'll- Speak up now!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY

August 5, 2003
NUTRITION NEWS FOCUS
"Nutrition news is important.  We help you understand it!"

Today's Topic: A Cure for Heart Disease

Two British researchers have proposed a new pill that they estimate
will reduce cardiovascular disease by more than 80 percent.  The
Polypill, as it is called, contains a cholesterol-lowering drug called
a statin, three different blood pressure medicines at half dose,
aspirin, and folic acid.

The pill is intended to reduce serum cholesterol and homocysteine,
blood pressure, and blood clotting.  What is unique is that the
researchers recommend everyone over 55 years plus anyone under that
age who has arterial disease take this pill and that risk factors no
longer be measured.  The research was published in the June 28, 2003
edition of the British Medical Journal.
< <A HREF="http://bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/326/7404/1419">http://bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/326/7404/1419</A> >

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: This recommendation takes the
public health approach to its extreme, but logical, conclusion.  Treat
everyone and save money by not screening to find out who is at risk.
This would benefit 1 in 3 people if the numbers are correct, but this
also means most of us would not benefit.  Diet changes would no longer
be important.  There will be debate about this approach among
scientists for years to come.