From:
Jeff Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:32:47 -0700
 > An article on vitamin B12 deficiency was in this months' newsletter from
my health food store, reporting on a Tuft's University study by Dr.
Katherine Tucker, which found that as much as 40% of the population has low
levels of B12.  Deficiency occurred even when people ate up to three times
the RDA of B12.  B12 deficiency causes a type of anemia characterized by
fewer but larger red blood cells, balance disturbances,long or heavy MPs,
loss of vibration sensation, confusion, and in advanced cases, dementia.  29
to 49 year olds had B12 levels as low as those in the 65 and older group.
Dr. Tucker concluded, "Vitamin B12 isn't gettng absorbed.

I went to see a metabolic nutritionist before and after becoming paleo(age
42).  He did B12 levels both times. As vegetarian the level was low at 525.
He likes to see the level between 600 and 2000. I went back and was tested
on the paleo thinking it would be high normal considering I was eating red
meat at least 2 times day.  The level came back lower at 371 which he said
was dangerously low. I started supplementing with 2500 mcg. 2 X/day and
folic acid 2X/ week.  I also added apple cider vinegar to the daily intake
which is supposed to increase intrinsic factor for absorbtion. We will see.
Just don't think if you are eating paleo you don't need to get blood work
done on occasion. You know the saying...an ounce of prevention...

Jeff