From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:25:30 -0600
Ok, I'll bite.

Ken is a friend who I have interacted with offlist.  So I hope he
does not take my humble disagreement personally.  And apologies to
Trish, who is just trying to get some practical exercise advice!

As hard as it is to imagine, exercise science is even more confused
than nutritional science.  Remember how hard it was to unlearn your
dietary assumptions?  This discarding of that which "just ain't so"
may ultimately be more difficult with what we think we know about
exercise.  (It's interesting to me that Gary Taubes has made a
valiant, if partial, effort to right both ships).

Ken:
> HIT was developed by Arthur Jones 40 years ago, at a time when
> exercise physiology
> barely existed

Our notions of what constitutes proper exercise have taken a many
steps backward in the last forty years, mirroring almost exactly our
misguided notions of proper nutrition during that same period.

Ken:
> HIT remains fashionable among men of a certain age - aging
> and old, guys who believed Jones' autodidactic, often crackpot, ideas.

LOL, Jones certainly did come across as a crackpot.  He had a very
odd, even offputting personality that tended to alienate
simultaneously both the bodybuilding and newly emerging aerobics
crowds.  But here's the real and only question: Were his ideas
valid?  For the most part astoundingly so.  As this 2004 article
points out, recognition of Jones' ideas are long overdue: http://
www.asep.org/files/Smith.pdf

Were Jones' ideas perfect?  No.  Here is what is, to me, the single
best criticism (revision) of his ideas: http://www.sszrc.com/articles/
guild/es23c.html

Jim Swayze