From:
Tracy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 09:17:15 -0400
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
> That's the trouble with a cooked-food diet. It involves the human body having to make an extra effort to produce enzymes all on its own in order to digest the unhealthy cooked-foods it consumes. The result is that a very large number of older people are therefore forced to take additional enzyme supplements to make up for the fact that their own body's enzyme-producing capabilities have become seriously compromised...[snip]. Needless to say, many followers of cooked-diets often have to
> eventually take extra bacterial supplements(less effective than
> bacteria-rich raw foods, IMO) in order to cope with their wrecked
> digestive systems, after being decades on such processed,
> bacteria-deficient diets.

You don't mention any studies here, but I'll assume you've read some.
These older people, or cooked-diet people - what were they eating? Were
they consuming grains? Dairy? What? How was it determined that whatever
wrecked their guts was due to 1) lack of enzymes as a result of eating
cooked foods 2) deficiency of bacteria due to lack of raw and/or
fermented foods? If they were eating a regular mixed diet (ie: SAD),
could that in itself not result in a compromised gut, regardless?

Something to think about:
Gastroenterology 2003 Jan;124(1):275. El Asmar Rahzi [corrected to El
Asmar Ramzi].
Host-dependent zonulin secretion causes the impairment of the small
intestine barrier function after bacterial exposure.El Asmar R,
Panigrahi P, Bamford P, Berti I, Not T, Coppa GV, Catassi C, Fasano A.
Department of Pediatrics and Center for Vaccine Development, University
of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA.

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Enteric infections have been implicated in the
pathogenesis of both food intolerance and autoimmune diseases secondary
to the impairment of the intestinal barrier. On the basis of our recent
discovery of zonulin, a modulator of small-intestinal tight junctions,
we asked whether microorganisms might induce zonulin secretion and
increased small-intestinal permeability.

METHODS: Both ex vivo mammalian small intestines and intestinal cell
monolayers were exposed to either pathogenic or *nonpathogenic*
enterobacteria. Zonulin production and changes in paracellular
permeability were monitored in Ussing chambers and micro-snapwells.
Zonula occludens 1 protein redistribution after bacteria colonization
was evaluated on cell monolayers.

RESULTS: Small intestines exposed to enteric bacteria secreted zonulin.
This secretion was independent of either the species of the small
intestines or the virulence of the microorganisms tested, occurred only
on the luminal aspect of the bacteria-exposed small-intestinal mucosa,
and was followed by a decrease in small-intestinal tissue resistance
(transepithelial electrical resistance). The transepithelial electrical
resistance decrement was secondary to the zonulin-induced tight junction
disassembly, as also shown by the disengagement of the protein zonula
occludens 1 protein from the tight junctional complex.

 CONCLUSIONS: This zonulin-driven opening of the paracellular pathway
may represent a defensive mechanism, which flushes out microorganisms
and contributes to the host response against bacterial colonization of
the small intestine.