From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:48:01 -0500
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Richard Geller wrote:

> Maddy wrote:
> > It has been found that the Okinawans eat substantially fewer
> > calories overall than the mainland Japanese, and therefore live longer.
>
> I recall a year or so ago lots of discussion on this list from a few calorie
> reduction (CR) advocates. Wow, CR and paleo, that could be really hard!

The longevity benefits of caloric reduction were known long
before Walford, in the various ascetic traditions.  I know that I
have mentioned G.B. Shaw, for example, a long-lived vegetarian.
I don't know what his caloric intake was, but from the looks of
him it must have been low.  Shaw was extremely thin, but lived in
good health to 97.  Many traditional yoga texts advise leaving
the table slightly hungry.

For those of us not committed to the ascetic discipline of more
or less continuous hunger, the trick is to find the combinations
of foods that allow us to simultaneously minimize hunger and
calories.  It's not so easy, especially over the long term.

Todd Moody