Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:51:51 -0500
Todd Moody wrote:
> I'm almost through my third week of very lowcarb, pretty nearly paleo,
> intermittent fasting.  ...

> First, I decided to upgrade to a new meter.  You can get them for free
> from various places; I used http://onetouch.orderpoints.com/.

Thanks for the tip. What is your opinion of this meter?

> ... To my surprise, my
> fasting BG (mid-afternoon) is 78-80, which is a respectable HG level,
> and definitely the lowest I've ever tested in 3 or 4 years of having a
> meter. ...

That's great news, Todd!

> The only plausible conclusion is that the intermittent fasting has
> already improved my insulin sensitivity significantly, in just under
> three weeks. I also had one "bad" meal, with a lot of stuff that I
> shouldn't be eating, and when I tested 2.25 hours later, it was 90.

It looks like the addition of intermittent fasting to eating the right
foods is giving you added benefits, just like you predicted. If you are
able to maintain or further improve on this level of progress, will you
try to report it to any of the IF scientists or Paleolithic nutrition
scientists? I would be interested in it if I were one of them.

What is the hypothesized mechanism of IF? Could the long hours of no
food sort of calm down or de-sensitize the insulin metabolism in the way
that avoiding foods containing "foreign" (identified as antigens)
proteins tends to calm the immune system?