From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:38:07 -0600
Cleave wrote:

>I have found that gluten-containing foods, and to a lesser extent, dairy products have not only a profoundly negative effect on my body, but also on my mind. They make me feel depressed, anxious, sociophobic and achingly tired. All I want to do is sleep. My concentration goes, I 'lose my words' and my creativity disappears.

I have gluten intolerance (celiac disease).  The first symptom I notice
if I ever "cheat"
is depression and extreme fatigue.  The next day comes the intestinal
stuff.  So I cheat very
seldom.  It just isn't worth it.  They estimate 1 of 100 people has this
problem, and many of
them don't know it.  I expect that some of the people who do very well
on paleo and very
poorly off it have unknown celiac disease.  With daily paleo eating, and
the occasional
cheat, you are actually performing an elimination diet on gluten (and
dairy as well). There are
blood tests, but you have to be actively eating the stuff (gluten) for
it to show up.

>Once back on a paleodiet, these symptoms rapidly disappear. It's little short of miraculous.

Not if you have celiac disease; it's to be expected.

    Lynnet