Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:04:29 -0400
I(Rachel) wrote: I do save ALL the bones from chicken, turkey, game
hens,
>> beef, lamb, etc... , then regularly cook them for 12-24 hours

Stacie asked: What a great tip Rachel! Do you roast the bones before
cooking? I am going  to try this. Do you save literally all the bones
or
just those with marrow?

Some of the bones I add to the bone bag--which goes into the freezer,
and
later into the bone broth pot--have been cooked because they were on
whole
chickens, turkey breasts, chicken parts, lamb chops, etc. when I
cooked the
meat; other bones I use for broth may be "raw" when I've boned some
chicken
prior to cooking it.  I save even the bones that we've eaten from
(e.g.,
chicken thighs, drumsticks, etc...).  I don't worry about any
germs--my
husband and I share everything! :-)) LOL!  Also, I figure that the
bones
cook long enough to kill any of our "cooties" that a guest might get
if he
or she eats my barbecue sauce or salad dressing made with a bit of
broth!
Some bones will obviously have marrow, but even those that may not
will
still have flavor and add minerals, glucosamine sulfate, and gelatin
to the
broth.

I usually keep poultry bones in a separate bag from other meat bones,
but
sometimes I mix them.   I don't roast the bare bones prior to making
broth,
I just toss them all in a big stock pot, add filtered water, a couple
of bay
leaves some raw apple cider vinegar, organic red wine vinegar
(sinful???
:_), or lemon juice, and often a big piece of kelp and kombu seaweed.  I
bring it to boil, reduce the heat, and simmer over medium for 12-24
hours
until the broth is very milky white.  Before bed, if the pot is going,
turn the heat to low and make sure there is plenty of water in the
pot.  In
the morning I raise the heat, remove the lid and cook it down to
concentrate
it so it takes up less space in the fridge.  After straining it and
tossing
out the bones, I pour it into quart mason jars, seal, and refrigerate.

Stacie asked:  could cook egg shells with the bones as well?

You could, if you wanted to.

Healthfully (and helpfully!)

Rachel