Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 18:33:13 -0400
> From:    Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]> said:

>> eggs-breaking the yolks & exposing them to heat, causes a change in the
>> cholesteral that is detrimental to health.
>> what do any of you know about this, and is it something to really be
>> concerned with???...
> My 2yoDD eats about 6 scrambled eggs a week, I also would be concerned if
> this is indeed true. She loves scrambled eggs, her favorite food, won't eat
> them any other way. Does anyone have more info. about this?

My response:
Cook the eggs over moderate heat, don't use high heat.  Take them off
the
stove while still softly cooked, not hard cooked.  In the context of
all
foods eaten, even if a small amount of the cholesterol in the yolk in
oxidized, it's not a significant risk.  Some experts suggest soft
boiling,
or cooking sunny side up to preserve the integrity of more fatty acids
in
the yolk, particularly if you are using DHA rich eggs.

 When hardboiling---avoid overcooking the eggs.  Start whole eggs in
the
shell in cold water.  Bring to boil.  Boil for 2-3 minutes, then turn
off
let stand in the hot water 10-15 minutes, then plunge in cold water,
remove
shell and refrigerate.

Rachel