Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 23:55:23 -0500
<<I do not mean to be dismal but this is a battle you cannot win.  You are
going to be fighting against a huge organization that has invested
*millions* of dollars to keep itself running just as it is.   You will
be dismissed as a crank and labeled a trouble-maker as will your
children.  Trust me... I know.>>

  Seeds must be planted. They may not come to fruition for several years.
One parent may hear this and begin to make changes for the family.  It isn't
necessary to win all battles.  Sometimes, it's just necessary to fight them.

  I wouldn't label what you tell them as paleo.  I'd just address each item
on its own terms.

Berkeley, CA. has an all organic lunch program.  There is one other
community - perhaps in Oregon - that does something close to organic.

Here are some interesting sites.  You may find the last one most helpful.

http://www.cfpa.net/   California Food Policy Advocates.  Be sure to look at
California School Food Finance Study, and the Obesity link.

http://learning.turner.com/newsroom/archive/0999/NR092899.html   Archive
heading on organic school lunch program in Berkeley public schools

http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/  The latest in USDA school nutrition

http://www.wwlp.com/schools/menus.html  Some school menus from Massachusetts

http://www.childrensnaturalhealth.com/    Spirit in Action's Vision:
For the health and welfare of our children to be the overriding
considerations in all government, corporate, and individual decisions.
Spirit in Action implements programs that foster cooperation between these
sectors, inspiring people to choose a course which is most empowering to
themselves and to others, creating "win-win" solutions for all, and promotes
principles through which apathy, oppression and disenfranchisement may be
transformed into healing, reconnection, and empowerment.
Some Programs from Spirit In Action
Our Food, Our Children, Their Future
Generation Rx seeks to awaken a nation that has fallen asleep, often caught
in the spell of the seductive, destructive, Standard American Diet (SAD).
Goals and Objectives - HCHP's goal is to advance and expand nutrition
education and improve food service in school cafeterias nationwide,
fulfilling its mission by helping public schools, food companies, parents,
teachers, and students work together for the health and welfare of coming
generations. Its objective is thus to implement Healthy Children Healthy
Planet.

Siobhan